2 Palestinian men arrested in east Jerusalem for incitement via Facebook

November 25, 2015 21:53
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Two Palestinian men in their 20s were arrested by police on Wednesday morning in the flashpoint east Jerusalem Arab neighborhood of Silwan for using Facebook to incite violence against Jews in the capital.

The unidentified suspects were arrested in their homes following a two-week undercover investigation carried out by detectives, police said.

“They were using Facebook to call on people to carry out attacks, and arrested as part of the ongoing operation to find suspects involved in using the Internet to incite violence,” Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld. 

According to Rosenfeld, the two men regularly reached out to followers in the capital’s Arab neighborhoods, posted images of knives, and exhorted them to stab Jewish residents.

During their Wednesday arraignment, a Jerusalem Magistrate Court judge ordered both suspects to remain in custody for several more days until the investigation is completed. 

One day earlier, a Tel Aviv man was arrested on suspicion of incitement and making threats on Facebook against Bayit Yehudi MK Yinon Magal, police said.

Magal stepped down on Wednesday from his position as Bayit Yehudi faction chairman following allegations that he sexually harassed employees before entering politics, but said that he will remain an MK.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 20, 2018
U.S. lawmakers planning new Russia visit