Abbas orders probe into alleged war crimes by W. Bank police

January 25, 2010 20:43


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas has asked a five-member committee to look into alleged human rights violations by his security forces in the West Bank.

The committee was formed Monday in response to recommendations by Justice Richard Goldstone, who led a UN-mandated investigation into last winter's IDF Operation Cast Lead.

He concluded that Israel and Hamas committed war crimes and demanded that both launch independent investigations. Israel and Hamas deny wrongdoing.

Goldstone also reviewed actions by Abbas' security forces, which have been cracking down on Hamas in the West Bank since the Islamist group seized the rule of Gaza from Abbas in 2007. Goldstone wrote that he believes Abbas' forces committed human rights violations.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 14, 2018
Italy motorway bridge collapses over Genoa, 'dozens' feared dead