Advocacy group: Chinese fire on Tibetan protesters, 1 dead

By REUTERS
January 23, 2012 17:02

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BEIJING - Chinese troops fired on thousands of Tibetans who staged a protest in southwestern Sichuan province on Monday, killing one and wounding as many as 30 of the demonstrators, an overseas advocacy group said.

Free Tibet, a London-based group that campaigns for Tibetan self-determination, said in an emailed statement that up to several thousand Tibetans gathered at an intersection in Luhuo, about 590 kilometers west of Sichuan's capital of Chengdu, and marched on the local government offices, where security forces opened fire about midday.

The Tibetans were protesting the arrest earlier in the day of some Tibetans in connection with the distribution of pamphlets carrying the slogan, "Tibet needs Freedom," and stating that more Tibetans were ready to stage self-immolations.

The report could not be immediately verified. A staff member of the county public security bureau said he was not aware of any incident.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 17, 2018
Report: Terror balloon lands in kindergarten, no casualties reported

By JPOST.COM STAFF