Afghan media safety in the spotlight as gunmen kill journalist

By REUTERS
April 25, 2018 13:28
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later



KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - Gunmen killed an Afghan journalist on his way to work in the southern city of Kandahar on Tuesday, officials said, an attack that highlights the risks faced by media workers in Afghanistan.



Abdul Manan Arghand, who worked for Kabul News TV, was shot by gunmen armed with AK-47s as he was driving his car, police spokesman Zia Durani said.



The attack came the same day as a meeting in Kabul to discuss how to safeguard journalists. The UN mission in Afghanistan issued a statement condemning the killing.

Last year was the bloodiest for journalists in Afghanistan, according to the Afghan Journalists' Safety Committee, with at least 20 killed and 169 cases of violence or threats.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 15, 2018
Turkey dismisses 259 local officials for suspected terrorist links

By REUTERS