Al Qaida group claims kidnap of foreigners in Algeria

By REUTERS
January 16, 2013 14:20

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

NOUAKCHOTT - An al-Qaida-linked group operating in the Sahara has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping on Wednesday of five Japanese and a French citizen, Mauritania's ANI news agency reported.

ANI, which has regular direct contact with Islamists, said fighters under the command of Mokhtar Belmokhtar were holding the foreigners seized from an Algerian gas field.

A local source said the French national was killed in an attack on the facility.

Belmokhtar for years commanded al-Qaida fighters in the Sahara before setting up his own armed Islamist group late last year after an apparent fallout with other militant leaders.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 25, 2018
U.S. plans limits on Chinese investment in U.S. technology firms

By REUTERS