BREAKING NEWS

Amnesty: NATO failed to investigate Libya civilian deaths

LONDON - NATO has failed to properly investigate or provide compensation for civilian deaths caused by its air strikes during the seven-month operation in Libya that helped bring about the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi, Amnesty International said on Monday.
Echoing similar criticisms aired this month by Russia, Amnesty said scores of Libyans, who were not involved in the conflict, had been killed or injured in NATO bombings but there had been no proper investigations into their deaths."NATO officials repeatedly stressed their commitment to protecting civilians," Donatella Rovera, Senior Crisis Adviser at Amnesty, said in a statement.
"They cannot now brush aside the deaths of scores of civilians with some vague statement of regret without properly investigating these deadly incidents."
Inquiries should determine whether any civilian casualties resulted from a breach of international law, and if so, those responsible should be brought to justice, Amnesty said.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use