Army: 7 dead in dual attacks at US military base

Army 7 dead in dual att

By
November 5, 2009 23:24

Seven people were killed and 20 wounded in a pair of shootings Thursday at the Fort Hood Army base in Texas, the Army said. An army spokesman in Washington said the base has been locked down following the shootings. Another official told The Asociated Press that at least one shooter had been caught. The FBI is sending agents to the scene. Army spokesman Lt. Col. Nathan Banks said the first shooting began at about 1:30 p.m. at a personnel and medical processing office. The facility, called a Soldier Rating and Processing center, handles administrative details for soldiers. Banks says two shooters were apparently involved. There was no immediate word on who they were, nor on identities of the dead. Banks says the second incident took place at a theater on the sprawling base. Another Army official identified that site as the Howze Theater. That official, who requested anonymity to discuss an evolving incident, said a graduation had been scheduled for 2 p.m. at the theater. The White House said US President Barack Obama was notified of the shootings.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 20, 2018
Afghan government under pressure as Taliban threaten new district

By REUTERS