Assault at Jerusalem light rail leaves police officer in hospital

May 31, 2015 18:18
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


An Israeli man was arrested Sunday morning after assaulting a light rail security guard and responding police officer in downtown Jerusalem, putting the officer in the hospital with light wounds.

According to Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld, the attack occurred at approximately 10:30 a.m. at the Ha Davidka stop, between the Mahane Market and  Jaffa Center, the  when the unidentified suspect began pummeling the security guard without provocation.“The man began beating the security guard in the face with his fists on the light rail, and when police in the area came to help him, the man continued to throw wild punches in all directions,” Rosenfeld said.

“He then repeatedly struck one of the responding officers, who was treated at the scene and then taken to an area hospital in light condition for treatment.”

The security guard did not require medical treatment, but sustained numerous bruises on his face, he said.

While Rosenfeld said that background of the assault is unclear and being investigated, he noted that it appeared to be a criminal matter and not nationalistically motivated.

The suspect remains in police custody after being arraigned at Jerusalem District Magistrate’s Court, he said.

Following the attack, the light rail resumed service, without further disruptions, Rosenfeld said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
May 22, 2019
Two shells fall Aleppo - Syrian TV