At least 55 killed in Central Africa Republic battles

By REUTERS
September 9, 2013 18:07

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BANGUI- At least 55 people were killed in clashes over the weekend between gunmen loyal to Central African Republic's former president and the ex-rebels who ousted him, the government and a regional peacekeeper said on Monday.

The fighting took place on Saturday and Sunday around Bossangoa, in former President Francois Bozize's home region, about 300 km (185 miles) north of the capital.

"The defence forces lost five men, and there have been more than 50 killed among the assailants and civilians," said Guy Simplice Kodegue, spokesman for the government the rebels set up after they seized power. A commander in the regional peacekeeping force put the toll at 60 dead so far.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 22, 2018
Powerful quake hits Venezuela coast, damage limited

By REUTERS