Australia police investigate ISIS claim of responsibility for Melbourne attack

By REUTERS
June 6, 2017 00:24
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

SYDNEY - Australian police said on Tuesday they are investigating a claim made by Islamic State that one of its fighters was the gunman responsible for a hostage situation in Melbourne on Monday.

"We are aware of it, but it's forming part of the investigation," Victoria state police spokeswoman Natalie Savino said.

Victoria state police on Monday shot dead the gunman in the city of Melbourne who had been holding a woman hostage. Islamic State said on Monday the attack was launched because of Australia's membership in a US-led coalition against the militant group.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 25, 2018
Turkish court sentences 15 journalists on terrorism charges

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 15 - 23
    Beer Sheva
    17 - 21
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 12 - 18
    Jerusalem
    15 - 21
    Haifa
  • 19 - 27
    Elat
    16 - 27
    Tiberias