Bahain arrests 28 people for planning terror attacks

By REUTERS
April 28, 2015 18:24
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

DUBAI - Bahraini authorities said on Tuesday they had arrested 28 people who had been planning attacks in villages in the kingdom.

The interior ministry did not name the detainees, state when they were held or elaborate on the nature of the planned attacks.

Bahrainis who have been accused in the past by the Sunni Muslim-led government of planning and launching attacks have included opposition activists from the majority Shi'ite community.

"The investigation interrupted and dismantled a number of terrorist operations planned in various villages," state news agency BNA quoted the ministry as saying.

"The investigation included the tracking of individuals and the monitoring of their safe houses," it added.

The ministry said some of those detained had already been convicted on terrorism charges in absentia and had been sentenced to life terms in jail, while others had had their citizenships revoked.

Bahrain's public prosecutor said on Monday that eight other men were sentenced to fifteen years in prison for the attempted murder of nine policemen in 2013, without providing details.

The Sunni Muslim royal family used martial law, backed up by military intervention from some other Gulf Arab forces, to quell a Shi'ite-led uprising in 2011, but unrest has simmered.

Shi'ites in the kingdom complain of discrimination and police brutality, but authorities say they have implemented reforms. Demonstrations have increasingly given way to bomb attacks on the security forces, which have killed several members of the security forces.

Bahrain, where the US Fifth Fleet is based as a bulwark against Shi'ite Iran, accuses Tehran of encouraging the unrest and has promised a tough response as talks with the opposition have stalled. Iran has denied meddling in Bahrain's affairs.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 13, 2018
Amazon to announce cities to build 'HQ2'

By REUTERS