Bahrain reportedly breaks Iran-linked 'terrorist' cell behind bus attack

By REUTERS
March 27, 2017 10:37
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

DUBAI - Bahrain said on Sunday it had broken an Iranian-linked "terrorist cell" suspected of involvement in a bomb attack on a police bus in February and plotting to assassinate senior officials, state news agency BNA reported.

The agency quoted an Interior Ministry statement as saying that the 14-member cell was working under direct supervision from two exiled Bahrainis living in Iran, one of them recently designated by the United States as a "global terrorist."Tensions have been rising in the kingdom since last year after authorities stepped up a crackdown on dissent, banning the main opposition group al-Wefaq, arresting a leading activist and critic of the government and revoking the citizenship of the spiritual leader of the country's majority Shi'ites.

BNA said that six of the arrestees received military training in camps under Iranian Revolutionary Guard supervision, five had been trained by the Iraqi Hezbollah group and three received training in Bahrain.


Related Content

Breaking news
September 20, 2019
El Salvador signs asylum cooperation deal with U.S.

By REUTERS