Belgian police arrest man with machete day after similar incident

By REUTERS
August 7, 2016 15:02

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BRUSSELS - Belgian police arrested a man with a machete in the eastern city of Liege, broadcaster VRT reported on Sunday.

The arrest came the day after a machete-wielding assailant attacked and injured two female police officers in the southern city of Charleroi before being shot dead by another officer, in what the prime minister has said appeared to be a terrorist act.

VRT said Liege police received a call in the early hours of Sunday, and cordoned off an area before arresting the man. It said he was of Turkish origin, did not use the machete and was not previously known to the police.



Belgium is increasing security at police stations after Saturday's attack in Charleroi, Prime Minister Charles Michel told a press conference on Sunday.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
December 15, 2018
Suspected double homicide in Lod, parents shot with 6 year old in the car

By JPOST.COM STAFF