Britain investigating reports its cluster bombs used in Yemen

By REUTERS
May 24, 2016 14:47

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

LONDON- Britain is urgently investigating reports that cluster munitions made in the country had been used by a Saudi-led coalition in Yemen, foreign minister Philip Hammond told parliament on Tuesday.

A report published by Amnesty International on Monday said it had documented the use of cluster bombs in Yemen that had been manufactured in Britain in the 1970s.

"The MoD (Ministry of Defence) is now urgently investigating the allegations that have been made," Hammond told parliament. He said the weapons described in the report were decades old, and that it was now illegal to supply such bombs under British law.

Hammond said that there was currently no evidence that Saudi Arabia had used cluster munitions, and that Britain believed it had been given assurances from Saudi authorities that such weapons had not been used.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 21, 2018
Former Trump lawyer Cohen to appear in Manhattan federal court

By REUTERS