Chicago police may have violated policy in fatal shooting

By REUTERS
August 6, 2016 21:02

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said on Saturday he has seen enough of police videos of the fatal shooting by an officer of an unarmed 18-year-old black man last month to suspect possible violations of departmental policies.

Johnson told a news conference it was against departmental policy to fire at or into a moving car when the vehicle was the only potential use of deadly force by a suspect. He said he relieved officers of duty last week because of those concerns.

Authorities on Friday released videos that captured the moments before and after police shot Paul O'Neal on July 28, but not the shooting itself because a policeman's body camera was not recording. No firearms were found on O'Neal, who was shot in the back, according to police.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 25, 2018
Trump calls new U.S.-South Korea trade deal a historic milestone

By REUTERS