China raises injured toll from Xinjiang riots to 1,680

By AP, JPOST.COM STAFF
July 12, 2009 14:27

The Xinjiang government on Sunday raised the injured toll in last week's ethnic violence between Uighur and Han Chinese to 1,680. The worst ethnic unrest to hit China in decades left 184 people dead, including 137 Han and 46 Uighur victims, according to state media. Uighurs have said they think many more of their group died. The official Xinhua News Agency said the number of people wounded during the ethnic violence that broke out July 5 in the regional capital of Urumqi has increased by nearly 600 from a previous total of more than 1,100. The protests last Sunday by minority Uighurs escalated into deadly attacks on members of the Han Chinese majority.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 21, 2018
5 Palestinians arrested overnight by security forces

By JPOST.COM STAFF