IDF: Rocket alert siren in Ashkelon Coast Regional Council likely a false alarm

No explosions heard in area and no rocket remains discovered; no rockets have been fired at South since August 26 cease-fire.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
September 15, 2014 11:59
Gaza

Some Israelis take cover as others look on as sirens indicating rockets being fired to the area are heard on a lookout hill near Sderot, opposite the northern Gaza Strip.. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The code red rocket alert siren that was heard in the Ashkelon Coast Regional Council area just before 11:30 a.m. on Monday was likely a false alarm, the IDF Spokesman's Office stated.

No explosions were heard in the area and no rocket remains were discovered on the ground following the siren.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


No rockets have been fired at southern Israel from Gaza since an Egyptian-brokered cease-fire brought an end to 50 days of hostilities on August 26.

A senior Hamas official said last week that indirect talks with Israel on a comprehensive cease-fire regarding the recent Gaza conflict deal were slated to resume this week in Cairo.

Exiled Hamas deputy chairman Mousa Abu Marzouq, told reporters in Gaza City during a visit from his current residence in Cairo that the Egyptian-mediated negotiations were due to resume in "mid-September."

Under the terms of the open-ended cease-fire that ended fighting last month, the sides were due for further talks starting within a month from the commencement of the temporary truce.

Related Content

Isaac Herzog as a baby with his father, Chaim Herz
August 15, 2018
Commemorations mark centenary of Chaim Herzog’s birth

By GREER FAY CASHMAN