Days after Hotovely comments on US Jews, Netanyahu cancels her trip abroad

By
November 29, 2017 21:32
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu canceled a scheduled trip by Deputy Foreign Minister Tzipi Hotovely on Wednesday to take part in a diplomatic dialogue in Prague, in an apparent signal of his displeasure with comments she made about American Jewry last week.

Hotovely kicked up a storm after saying in an interview with i24 that American Jews do not understand the reality of life in Israel because they do not send their children to the military or live under the threat of missile fire.

After Netanyahu threatened to fire her for the remarks, and after numerous calls by Israeli politicians and Jewish organizational leaders for him to do just that, Hotovely apologized.

Hotovely’s office said that her trip was not canceled, just postponed at the request of the Prime Minister’s Office, until 2018. Asked if the postponement was related to her comments last week, a spokeswoman for Hotovely directed that question to the Prime Minister’s Office.

The PMO had no comment.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 17, 2018
U.S. reliance on sanctions 'out of control,' Iran foreign minister says

By REUTERS