CAIRO - Egyptian authorities have arrested four crew members of a boat carrying almost 600 migrants which capsized off Egypt's coast, killing at least 43, judicial sources said on Thursday.
The boat sank on Wednesday in the Mediterranean off Burg Rashid, a village in Egypt's northern Beheira province where the sea and the Nile meet. Rescue workers have so far saved 169 people, which means the death toll could hit several hundred.
Prosecutors ordered the crew members jailed for four days while an investigation takes place. The rescued migrants have been released.
Egyptian Prime Minister Sherif Ismail pledged the government's full support for the continuing rescue mission and said those responsible must be brought to justice. The military said in a statement it was conducting the rescue operation.