Egyptian judge cuts short mass Islamist trial over "disruptive" lawyers

By REUTERS
March 22, 2014 18:10
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

CAIRO- A mass trial of members of the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood began in Egypt on Saturday, but proceedings were abruptly cut short by the judge who said defence lawyers were being disruptive and "discussing politics", a judicial source told Reuters.

Judge Saeed Youssef Mohamed would announce his ruling on Monday and requested the lawyers of the 545 defendants to submit their written defense within 24 hours, the source said, declining to be identified.

The charges against the group, on trial in the province of Southern Minya, include storming a police station, attacking persons and damaging public and private property.

Only 123 of the defendants were present, the rest being either released, out on bail or on the run. Most were arrested during clashes which erupted in Minya after the forced dispersal of two Muslim Brotherhood protest camps in Cairo on August 14.

Tarek Fouda, head of the lawyer's syndicate in Minya said that the presiding judge had "veered away from all legal norms and that he breached the rights of the defense".

Fouda said he would submit a report on what had occurred at Saturday's hearing to Egypt's Justice Minister.

Hundreds died when security forces cleared the Cairo camps, where protesters had been calling for the reinstatement of former President Mohamed Morsi, ousted by the army in July. The events sparked violent protests all over Egypt.

Shortly after the army takeover, the authorities labelled the Muslim Brotherhood a "terrorist" organization and thousands of its members have since been arrested.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 19, 2018
Trump urges Turkey's Erdogan to free jailed U.S. pastor

By REUTERS