Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan said on Wednesday that increased police patrols, which were launched before the holidays, would continue “until we are able to establish deterrence and our sovereignty on all parts of Jerusalem, the capital of Israel.”
Speaking at a press conference with Acting Police Commisioner Asst.-Ch. Bentzi Sau in the Old City, Erdan praised the actions of police in recent days, noting that they had already carried out a series of arrests of suspects believed to have taken part in acts of violence against Jewish pedestrians in the Old City that were filmed and circulated online in Israel.
Regarding the rioting, Erdan said: “We don’t consider these acts public disturbances, rather acts of grassroots terror.”
He said he would continue to support stiffer penalties for those taking part in the riots, saying that broader use of administrative detention and restraining orders were being considered.
He added that cooperation between the police and the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) would also continue.