BEIJING — A Chinese state news agency said a fire raced through hundreds of houses in a remote village in northwestern China, leaving more than 270 people homeless in freezing temperatures. No casualties were reported.
The official Xinhua News Agency said the fire Sunday in Qawa village in Gansu province damaged 613 houses.
It cited a county spokesman as saying a short circuit in one of the houses may have triggered the fire and the village is currently without electricity because of the blaze.
Xinhua said the local government sent 70 tents as well as food and quilts to the victims.