Floods kill 70 in China, 32 still missing

By REUTERS
September 21, 2011 09:35

BEIJING - Floods and landslides triggered by heavy rain have killed at least 70 people in eight provinces in China, with 32 still missing, the Chinese government and state media said.

The rain, which began earlier this month, has caused $4.1 billion in damage, the Chinese Civil Affairs Ministry said on its website (www.mca.gov.cn) late on Tuesday.

Nearly 1 million people have also been forced to evacuate their homes.

The floods have been most severe in the northwestern province of Shaanxi and the southwestern province of Sichuan. Nearly 40 rivers in various parts of the country were in danger of breaching their banks, Chinese radio said.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 24, 2018
U.S. House backs measure to clamp down on Myanmar over Rohingya rights

By REUTERS