WATCH: Clashes in Jaffa after police shoot suspect dead overnight

Two suspects shot overnight after exchanging gunfire with police during moped chase.

July 29, 2017 09:07
1 minute read.

Protestors burn tires during clashes with police in Jaffa, July 29, 2017. (Credit: SOCIAL MEDIA)

Protestors burn tires during clashes with police in Jaffa, July 29, 2017. (Credit: SOCIAL MEDIA)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Violence erupted between Jaffa residents and police on the coastal city’s main thoroughfare Saturday afternoon following the overnight shooting death of a 21-year-old Arab resident involved in a firefight with officers.

While a gag order was issued following the shooting, police said that it was a criminal matter, not a terrorist attack.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

“Shots were fired by a number of suspects at a port area during the early morning hours and police immediately responded, at which time two suspects fled on mopeds,” said police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld.

“A chase ensued and gunfire was exchanged. As a result, both of the suspects were shot and taken to Wolfson Medical Center [in Holon], where one died this morning and the other is in moderate condition.”

Rosenfeld said an investigation into the shooting has been opened.

On Saturday afternoon, dozens of masked Arab rioters gathered at the intersection of Yefet Street and Haj Kahil junction, where the shooting took place.

“The rioters were young Arab Jaffa residents, and as a result of the tensions following the shooting, fires were set to tires and dumpsters, and stones were thrown at police,” said Rosenfeld.

“Extra police units were called into the area and they quickly dealt with the situation and contained the rioting after closing the road where the riot took place,” he added, noting that no injuries were reported.

As of early Saturday evening, at least three suspects were arrested, Rosenfeld said.

The funeral for the unnamed 21-year-old was held on Saturday night in Jaffa.

Hundreds of people came out to attend the funeral and protest against the police. The protests turned violent and Gilad Shalmor, a Channel 2 reporter, was physically attacked and his equipment vandalized. He was taken to Tel Aviv's Ichilov hospital in light condition.

Jerusalem Post staff contributed to this report.

Related Content

The International Criminal Court in The Hague
August 18, 2018
What does IDF closing Black Friday war crimes probe mean for ICC?