Guam governor shrugs off North Korea's mid-August strike plan

By REUTERS
August 10, 2017 05:37
1 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

GUAM - The governor of Guam on Thursday dismissed North Korea's statement that it will develop a plan by mid-August to launch missiles at the US Pacific territory as coming from "a position of fear", and said there was no heightened threat.

North Korea's state media said earlier that, under the plan to be presented to leader Kim Jong Un, four intermediate-range missiles would be fired into waters 30-40 km (18-25 miles) from Guam "to signal a crucial warning to the United States".Guam is home to about 163,000 people and a US military base that includes a submarine squadron, an air base and a Coast Guard group.

"They like to be unpredictable. They'll pop a missile off when no one is ready and they've done it quite a few times. Now they've telegraphed it," Guam Governor Eddie Calvo told Reuters in an interview on the island.

"They're now telegraphing their punch, which means they don't want to have any misunderstandings. I think that's a position of fear."



He said there was some concern among the public on Guam but no panic, and the authorities were "very confident" that there was no heightened threat despite the warnings from North Korea, which were first made on Wednesday.

"There is a defense umbrella contained within South Korea, there is a defense umbrella for Japan, there are naval assets between Korea, Japan and Guam, and there is a missile defense system of Guam that make up a multi-level defensive umbrella," Calvo said.

"At this point, based on what facts are known, there is no need to have any concern regards heightening the threat level."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
June 25, 2019
U.S. envoy to U.N.: U.S. policy is to bring Iran to negotiating table

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings