Haredi protestors take body of deceased baby from ambulance during funeral

The baby drowned to death in the southern city of Ashdod earlier this week.

April 5, 2018 17:21
Haredis protest the autopsy of a baby who drowned in Ashdod

Haredis protest the autopsy of a baby who drowned in Ashdod. (photo credit: EHUD AMITON/TPS)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Ultra-Orthodox Jews forcibly removed the body of a deceased one-month old baby from an ambulance during a funeral procession on Thursday, ZAKA confirmed.

Haredi protestors took the baby's body, blessed it, and then returned it, ZAKA Jerusalem Commander Benzi Oering confirmed to The Jerusalem Post.

The baby drowned in a jacuzzi while with his parents earlier this week in the southern city of Ashdod. Magen David Adom paramedics were called to the scene and performed CPR while transferring the infant to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The Ashkelon Magistrate Court ruled that an autopsy would be performed on the baby to determine whether his drowning was accidental or was premeditated in some way. The parents objected to this and were arrested and remain under remand until Sunday.

The case was then brought to the High Court of Justice, which upheld the Ashkelon court's ruling.

Small protests were held immediately after the ruling was announced, and a handful of people were arrested.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Nestea peach by Nestle
June 20, 2019
Nestea recalled after mold marks found on bottles


Cookie Settings