Heavy security as Congo opposition strikes over election delays

By REUTERS
April 3, 2017 15:18
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

Congolese police deployed heavily across the capital Kinshasa on Monday as opposition calls for a general strike after a breakdown in talks with President Joseph Kabila's allies last week raised fears of renewed violence.

Security forces in Democratic Republic of Congo killed dozens in protests over election delays last year but the strike appeared to be peaceful on Monday morning as stores and banks were shuttered and streets quiet.



With police deployed at bus stops and intersections, there were only a handful of cars on the central boulevard in Kinshasa, a city of more than 10 million people, and the normally bustling central market was shut.



"I couldn't go to work... It's my way of supporting the opposition. We want change," said an employee of the central bank who asked to remain anonymous for fear of repercussions.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 26, 2018
Trump says having 'very productive talks' with North Korea on summit

By REUTERS