Iran eases restrictions on detained dissident

By REUTERS
February 2, 2014 13:48

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

DUBAI - Iranian authorities have eased restrictions on detained opposition cleric Mehdi Karroubi, who helped lead big anti-government protests in 2009 and was put under house arrest two years later, his son said on Sunday.

Karroubi, a defeated candidate in disputed presidential elections in 2009, was moved from detention at a location in Tehran to his home in the capital's northern Jamaran area, his son, Mohammad Hussein Karroubi, said on his Facebook page.

Opposition sources have said Karroubi had been held at a apartment in northern Tehran operated by the security services. There has been no official comment on those reports.

The transfer relaxes curbs imposed for what critics saw as his seditious role, along with fellow prominent reformist Mirhossein Mousavi, in post-election protests in 2009.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 21, 2018
Trump walks back order to declassify Russia probe documents

By REUTERS