Judicial sources: Egyptian court jails 23 men over killing of Shi'ite Muslims

By REUTERS
June 13, 2015 17:59

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

CAIRO - An Egyptian court on Saturday sentenced 23 men to 14 years in jail without parole over the killing of four Shi'ite Muslims in 2013, judicial sources said.

Eight others were acquitted of the charges of killing, attempted murder and of setting fire to a house, the sources said.

The four Shi'ites, who included a prominent Egyptian Shi'ite cleric, were killed in June 2013 when a mob stormed a house in a small village near Cairo. The mob had been angered by the performance of a Shi'ite religious ceremony in mainly Sunni Muslim Egypt.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
January 19, 2019
Australian Minister for Women quits politics during election time

By REUTERS