Kerry expresses 'disappointment' to Abbas on chief Palestinian negotiator's remarks

By
February 19, 2014 21:44

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

WASHINGTON -- US Secretary of State John Kerry expressed "disappointment" over remarks made by the lead Palestinian negotiator to Palestinian Authority  President Mahmoud Abbas on Wednesday night in Paris during a meeting intended to discuss a framework for negotiations on the Middle East peace process.

Last week, chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat told Xinhua, a state-run news organization in China, that Israel may initiate a new military incursion in Gaza against Hamas to undermine US Secretary of State John Kerry's efforts to forge peace.

Erekat had previously suggested that Prime Minister Benyamin Netanyahu wanted Abbas assassinated.

Israeli officials have denied and condemned the comments, and the State Department on Wednesday expressed "concern over the recent comments."

"Personal attacks are unhelpful," State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf said, responding to Erekat's comments to the Chinese media outlet. "The secretary will make clear that these comments are disappointing."

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
King of Morocco appoints new minister for economy and finance

By REUTERS