Kuwaiti gets 10 years for Twitter blasphemy

By REUTERS
June 4, 2012 14:02

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

KUWAIT - A court sentenced a 26-year-old Kuwaiti to 10 years in prison on Monday after ruling that he had endangered state security by insulting the Prophet Mohammad and the Sunni Muslim rulers of Saudi Arabia and Bahrain on social media, his lawyer said.

Shi'ite Muslim Hamad al-Naqi had pleaded innocent, saying he did not post the messages and that his Twitter account had been hacked.

The sentence was the maximum that Naqi could have received, his lawyer Khaled al-Shatti told Reuters.

The civil plaintiff and some Kuwaiti politicians had called for Naqi to be put to death in a high-profile and divisive case that has stoked sectarian tensions in the Gulf state.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 18, 2018
Ukraine, Iran and human rights on agenda for talks with Putin - Merkel

By REUTERS