Lapid says Deri lied about budget cuts to haredi education

By JPOST.COM STAFF
May 14, 2013 09:21

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Finance Minister Yair Lapid accused Shas Chairman Arye Deri of lying Tuesday in his statement that budget cuts in the Shas educational network had been cancelled.

Lapid said cuts to the haredi education networks would be postponed by six months, until a state network for haredi education was established, he said on his Facebook.

Lapid added that Deri's conduct prevented the possibility of collaboration between him and Yesh Atid for matters that interest Deri's supporters.

"Deri did circles around us and sold the idea to the media that we surrendered to him and decided to cancel the cuts to [the Shas educational network]," Lapid said.

The 2013-14 budget draft passed by the Knesset earlier in the morning included tax hikes and large spending cuts. Lapid said the budget would improve the condition of the middle class within a year and a half.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 20, 2018
Palestinian officials deny payment to terrorist who killed Ari Fuld

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH