Lebanon charges two men over mosque bombings that killed 42

By REUTERS
August 30, 2013 14:04

BEIRUT - Lebanon on Friday charged two men, including a Sunni cleric with close ties to the Syrian government, over bomb attacks against two mosques in the northern city of Tripoli last week that killed at least 42 people, judicial sources said.

They said a military court accused Sheikh Ahmad Gharib and Mostafa Houri of forming an armed group to attack government institutions, organizing a terrorist cell and preparing the bombs against the two Sunni mosques in Tripoli.

The explosions, which also wounded hundreds, intensified sectarian strife that has spilled over from the civil war in neighboring Syria where President Bashar Assad, from the minority Alawite sect, is facing a largely Sunni-led insurgency against his rule.

Sheikh Hesham Minkara, another pro-Syrian government Sunni cleric, was charged with withholding information from investigators.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 22, 2018
U.S. bombs Syrian army position

By REUTERS