Lebanon security forces make arrests, seize explosives after Beirut bombs

By REUTERS
November 20, 2015 12:24
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Lebanese security forces carried out a series of arrests overnight, security sources said on Friday, as part of a crackdown launched after twin suicide bomb attacks killed 44 people in Beirut last week.

Islamic State claimed the attacks, which targeted a busy residential and commercial suburb of the capital dominated by Shi'ite movement Hezbollah.

It was the latest spillover of violence from the Syrian civil war across the border, as Hezbollah steps up its involvement in the conflict in support of President Bashar al-Assad, fighting against insurgents that include Sunni Islamist groups.

The latest raids in Beirut and northern city Tripoli dismantled "networks that were planning to carry out a series of similar operations (to those in Beirut), in more than one location," a security source said on condition of anonymity.

Another security source said that 16 people had so far been arrested in connection with the Beirut attacks on Nov. 12.

They include five Syrians, one Palestinian and one Lebanese man linked to the bombings, whose detention was reported on Saturday.

Security forces also arrested three people who were carrying explosives at a Palestinian refugee camp in southern Lebanon on Thursday, and earlier in the week the Internal Security Force said it had seized 180 kilograms of explosives in Tripoli.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 22, 2018
IDF: Attempted attack on Beit El settlement

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF