(photo credit: JPOST STAFF)
Some, but not all, foreign Islamic State fighters have left Syria's Raqqa city on Sunday as part of a withdrawal deal with US-backed militias, a local official told Reuters on Sunday.
Omar Alloush, a member of the Raqqa Civil Council, would not say how many militants remain in the city, where the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces have hemmed them into a small enclave.
An SDF spokesman said earlier that a group of Syrian Islamic State fighters without foreign militants had evacuated Raqqa overnight, taking civilians with them as human shields.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>