New York girl, 2, dies, hit by bricks while on bench with grandma

May 19, 2015 02:07
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


NEW YORK - A 2-year-old girl died on Monday a day after she was hit on the head by falling bricks as she sat on a bench with her grandmother outside a Manhattan building, police said.

The landmark-designated building called The Esplanade, which houses a nursing home in an affluent neighborhood on Manhattan's Upper West Side, was cited for a violation for failing to maintain its facade, said Alexander Schnell, spokesman for New York's Department of Buildings.The toddler and her grandmother were struck by debris from the eighth floor of the building at 305 West End Avenue on Sunday, New York Police Sergeant Brendan Ryan said. The bricks were from a window ledge, according to a complaint report filed on the Department of Buildings' online database.

Immediately following the incident, nurses from The Esplanade began performing CPR on the child who had lost consciousness, police said.

The girl, identified as Greta Greene from Brooklyn, was rushed to New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, and was reported in stable condition. But on Monday morning, police announced that she had been pronounced dead.

Her grandmother sustained minor injuries to her wrists and ankles.

Schnell said the incident was being investigated and authorities had asked for a sidewalk shed to be set up to protect pedestrians. It was being put in place on Monday and the facade would have to be remedied before its removal.

In a statement, the Scharf family, which owns and manages The Esplanade, said it was "heartbroken by this tragedy."

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to Greta Greene's family. We are fully cooperating with city emergency response agencies and the Department of Buildings to determine the cause of this horrible incident and to safeguard the public," the statement said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
May 26, 2019
Senior Likud official: if Lieberman agrees, right-wing government tonight