Norway: Mass killer not allowed to attend mother's funeral

By REUTERS
March 26, 2013 16:24
1 minute read.

OSLO - Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik will not be allowed to attend his mother's funeral, prison officials told news agency NTB on Tuesday.

Breivik, who slaughtered 77 people in 2011 in what he imagined was a civil war against Islam, sought leave to attend the funeral for Wenche Behring. She was one of the last people who remained close to him as he withdrew from society and planned his murderous rampage.

Breivik was imprisoned for a maximum 21 years last year.

Behring, who refused to testify at the trial, described to psychiatrists how her once "kind and caring" son transformed into a crazed obsessive.

Breivik, accusing the ruling Labor party of aiding a Muslim takeover of the country, first bombed the government's headquarters, killing eight, then gunned down 69, some as young as 14, at the party's summer youth camp.

Breivik, 34, moved back with his mother in 2006 after several failed business ventures and Behring once described how on the day of the attacks she expected him home for dinner, not understanding why he was late.

Behring, who died last Friday at the age of 66 after a long illness, visited Breivik in prison earlier this month.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 26, 2018
Trump says having 'very productive talks' with North Korea on summit

By REUTERS