Qatar concerned over continued bloodshed in Egypt

By REUTERS
July 24, 2013 00:21
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

DUBAI - Qatar, a main supporter of Mohamed Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood, expressed concern over bloodshed in Egypt after at least nine people died in clashes between supporters and opponents of the ousted president, the QNA state news agency reported on Tuesday.

The agency said the Qatari Foreign Ministry source also expressed concern over the continued detention of Morsi since the army forced him out of office earlier this month.

Morsi has been held at an undisclosed military facility since the army deposed him on July 3 and suspended the constitution in the wake of street protests against his one-year rule. The army says he is being held for his own safety.

"A responsible source at the Qatari Foreign Ministry expressed his concern over the development of events in sisterly Arab Republic of Egypt, especially after the increasing number of civilian victims," QNA said.

The source also expressed surprise at the continued holding of Morsi since he was ousted earlier this month and said the only way out of the crisis was through dialogue.

"This dialogue is not possible in the absence of one of its parties and the holding of its symbols," it added, referring to Morsi.

Most Gulf Arab states, wary of the influence of the Muslim Brotherhood on Islamists in their own countries, have welcomed the army's ouster of Morsi. Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Kuwait swiftly offered Egypt $12 billion in aid.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 19, 2018
Report: Israel and Hamas reach understanding to refrain from war

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF