Saudi says kingdom will not ban hajj pilgrimage over flu

Saudi says kingdom will

By
November 7, 2009 14:16

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Saudi health minister said Saturday that the kingdom will not ban anyone considered high risk for swine flu from performing the hajj pilgrimage this year. Speaking at the launch of a swine flu vaccine campaign, Saudi Health Minister Abdullah al-Rabeeah said it was the responsibility of individual countries to enforce recommendations that children, the elderly and pregnant women skip the pilgrimage, which starts November 25. Rabeeah said that only two cases of swine flu had been reported so far among the half million pilgrims who have already arrived in the kingdom. The minister said there were no indications fewer people will be attending this year's pilgrimage because of swine flu concerns.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 15, 2018
Pence: Trump likely to meet Kim in 2019; won't allow broken pledges to end arms

By REUTERS