Second suspect in Saudi police killings arrested

By REUTERS
April 28, 2015 10:26

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

DUBAI - Saudi authorities arrested a second man on Tuesday on suspicion of shooting dead two policemen and wounding two others in separate attacks in Riyadh, the interior ministry said.

The ministry said last week that the first suspect in the shootings in March and April was acting on instructions from the Islamic State group in Syria, in the first alleged attack by the group inside the kingdom.

Authorities were alerted to the second man's hiding place in a desert area in Ramah province northwest of the capital Riyadh by a tip-off to an emergency phone number, the ministry said.

The suspect, Nawaf Sharif Samir al-Onaizi, opened fire on security forces who returned fire and wounded him, the ministry added.

Islamic State last year called on followers in the kingdom to carry out attacks against Saudi authorities, Western expatriates and members of the Shi'ite Muslim minority there instead of traveling to Syria or Iraq to join the group.

The ministry had offered a bounty of 1 million riyals ($266,666) for the capture of al-Onaizi, whom it said had adopted a Moroccan accent and name to disguise his identity.


Related Content

Breaking news
August 19, 2018
Pompeo: 'time for peace' as Afghanistan announces ceasefire with Taliban

By REUTERS