Sources: Evacuation of wounded in Syrian areas delayed

By REUTERS
August 28, 2015 19:35
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

An evacuation of wounded people from three areas in Syria failed to go ahead as planned on Friday but talks continued between the warring parties, sources on both sides of the negotiations said.

A ceasefire between the Syrian army and the Lebanese group Hezbollah on the one side, and Syrian insurgents on the other, came into effect in the town of Zabadani and the Shi'ite Muslim villages of Kefraya and al-Foua on Thursday.

As part of the process, the parties were supposed to begin evacuating the wounded on Friday but unspecified "complications" had so far got in the way, the sources said.

Rami Abdulrahman, who runs the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group, also said he had no reports that the wounded were being evacuated by nightfall on Friday.

Talks continued over Zabadani, close to the Lebanese border, and the two villages in the northwest of the country. The negotiations have been led on the rebel side by insurgent Sunni Islamist group Ahrar al-Sham.

The sides agreed on Thursday to extend a ceasefire in the three locations in western Syria, which are away from the main strongholds of Islamic State.

Zabadani has been the focus of an offensive by Hezbollah and the Syrian army against insurgent groups. The area is important to President Bashar Assad because it is close to the capital Damascus and the Lebanese border.

Insurgent groups had been attacking the two villages in the northwestern province of Idlib, an area bordering Turkey that is mostly rebel-controlled after advances against the military this year.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 25, 2018
Weapons smuggling attempt foiled by security forces

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF