Suicide bomber targets foreign forces in Afghan capital, casualties unknown

By REUTERS
October 11, 2015 09:40
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

KABUL - A suicide car bomber targeted a convoy of foreign troops in the Afghan capital during rush hour-traffic on Sunday, an official said, flipping an armored vehicle on its side, but the number of casualties was unknown.

Taliban insurgents claimed responsibility for the attack in the city center that broke a period of relative calm in Kabul after a series of bombings in August.

TV footage showed an armored vehicle on its side as Afghan security forces cordoned off the street in the Joi Sheer neighborhood.

"It was a suicide bombing against a foreign forces convoy in a crowded part of the city and there are casualties," said Najib Danish deputy spokesman for the interior ministry.

Danish did not specify whether there were casualties among the foreign forces.

The U.S.-led Resolute Support military coalition in Kabul confirmed that one of its convoys was struck by a bomb. "No casualties are reported at this time," said spokesman Colonel Brian Tribus.

The Taliban insurgents fighting to topple the foreign-backed Kabul government claimed responsibility for Sunday's attack, saying it killed a number of foreign troops.

The group typically inflates casualty figures they inflict on Afghan and coalition forces.

The attack came during a period of heightened tension following intense fighting between government troops and the Taliban around the northern city of Kunduz, which fell briefly to the insurgent Islamist movement at the end of last month.

Fighting between government forces and the Taliban continues on the outskirts of Kunduz.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
King of Morocco appoints new minister for economy and finance

By REUTERS