Syrian ceasefire largely holding, aid not going in

By REUTERS
January 12, 2017 14:23

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

GENEVA - Syria's cessation of hostilities is largely holding but there are some exceptions and humanitarian aid is still not getting in to besieged areas where food is running out, UN Syria envoy Staffan de Mistura said on Thursday.

He told reporters that 23 buses and Syrian drivers, used in recent evacuations, were being stopped from leaving the villages of Foua and Kefraya in Idlib province by armed groups, and fighting was continuing in two villages in the Wadi Barada valley, the site of water pumping facilities serving Damascus.

De Mistura said he understood that the UN would be invited for talks in Astana on Jan. 23, aimed at deepening the cessation of hostilities and forming some broad political ideas, but there had been no formal invitations or confirmed dates.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 22, 2018
IDF Chief of Staff toured site of killed soldier

By JPOST.COM STAFF