Syrian minister rolls back school toll, says 9 dead

By REUTERS
December 7, 2012 19:00

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BEIRUT - Syria's foreign minister said on Friday that nine school children were killed in a "terrorist" attack on Tuesday, contradicting an earlier report from the official state news agency saying 28 had been killed.

State television reported on Tuesday that a rebel mortar attack killed nine school children and a teacher when "terrorists" - a term the government uses for rebels who are fighting to oust President Bashar Assad - fired a mortar at a school in Wafideen Camp, in the Damascus suburbs.

A later report by the state news agency SANA said that the number had risen to 28 school children and one teacher. UNICEF, the United Nations children's fund, released a statement on Wednesday condemning the attack.

Foreign Minister Walid al-Moualem was quoted on Friday by SANA telling Filippo Grandi, the UN Relief and Works Agency Commissioner General, that nine school children and a teacher were killed in the attack.

Reuters is unable to independently verify reports in Syria due to severe government restrictions.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 16, 2018
Report: Turkish police to search Saudi consul's residence in Istanbul

By REUTERS