Three killed in Kurdish militant car bomb attack in Turkey

By REUTERS
July 9, 2016 17:17

Kurdish militants carried out a car bomb attack on a military outpost in southeast Turkey and then opened fire on the facility on Saturday, killing two soldiers and a civilian and wounding dozens, security sources said.

The military and Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) rebels have clashed on a daily basis since a two-year-old ceasefire between them collapsed in July last year. The fighting has killed thousands of militants, security force members and civilians.

The latest car bombing targeted the Cevizlik village outpost in Mardin province, which borders Syria, around 12:40 p.m. (0940 GMT), the sources said, adding military reinforcements were sent to capture the attackers.

They said those wounded in the attack included 23 soldiers, three of whom were seriously hurt, and 14 civilians as well as one member of the village guard which supports the army in its security operations.

The attack came a day after Turkish troops killed 19 PKK fighters in clashes elsewhere in the mainly Kurdish region.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 18, 2018
Bus strikes Dutch concert-goers, kills one, wounds three

By REUTERS