UN disarmament official to lead Syria gas attacks inquiry

By REUTERS
September 15, 2015 20:14

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

UNITED NATIONS - Senior UN disarmament official Virginia Gamba of Argentina will lead an international investigation aimed at assigning blame for chemical weapon attacks in Syria, the United Nations said on Tuesday.

The UN Security Council gave the green light for the joint inquiry by the United Nations and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) last week. Both Syria's government and rebels have denied using chemical weapons.

Gamba is currently the deputy UN High Representative for Disarmament Affairs and will bring more than 30 years' experience in disarmament to her new role leading the Syria investigation, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon's spokesman Stephane Dujarric said.

He said that Gamba's deputies on the three-member panel will be Adrian Neritani of Albania and Eberhard Schanze of Germany.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 21, 2018
Trump stands with Saudi prince despite pressure from U.S. lawmakers

By REUTERS