UN relocating about 600 staff after Afghan attack

UN relocating about 600

By
November 5, 2009 08:38

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The United Nations said Thursday that it is temporarily relocating more than half its staff in Afghanistan following last week's deadly Taliban attack against U.N. workers - the most direct targeting of its employees during decades of work in the country. The UN mission is still reeling from the pre-dawn assault on a guesthouse in the capital that left five UN staffers dead. Though the UN insists it remains committed to Afghanistan, its actions show how much security has degraded in the country and raise questions about the future of its work if attacks continue. The relocations follow a UN decision on Monday to suspend much of its work in the volatile northwest of neighboring Pakistan because of increasingly targeted attacks. In Afghanistan, some 600 nonessential staffers will be moved for three to four weeks to more secure locations in and outside of Afghanistan while the body works to find safer permanent housing, spokesman Aleem Siddique said.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
Iran says France's Total has officially left South Pars deal

By REUTERS