UN welcomes Obama Guantanamo plan, but calls for due process

By REUTERS
February 23, 2016 20:30

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

GENEVA - The top UN human rights official welcomed President Barack Obama's plan announced on Tuesday to close the US military prison at Guantanamo Bay, but stressed that no detainee should remain in indefinite custody without charge or trial.

Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein, UNHigh Commissioner for Human Rights, said the US facility in Cuba had been a "serious blot on the human rights record, and reputation, of the United States for the past 14 years."

"All Guantanamo detainees should either be transferred to regular detention centers in the US mainland or other countries where fair trials before civilian courts and due process guarantees can be provided in accordance with international norms and standards," he said in a statement.

"If there is insufficient evidence to charge them with any crime, they must be released to their home country, or to a third country if they risk persecution at home."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 18, 2018
U.S. Treasury Secretary Mnuchin withdraws from Saudi conference

By REUTERS