US confirms veteran militant in Libya was target of air strike

By REUTERS
June 15, 2015 05:34

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

WASHINGTON - The US military confirmed on Sunday that Algerian militant Mokhtar Belmokhtar was the target of a US air strike in Libya but did not say if he had been killed.

"The strike was carried out by US aircraft. We are continuing to assess the results of the operation and will provide more details as appropriate," Pentagon spokesman Colonel Steve Warren said in a statement.

Libya's recognized government said earlier on Sunday that Belmokhtar, blamed for masterminding an Algerian gas field attack and running smuggling routes across North Africa, had been killed in a US air strike inside Libya.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 15, 2018
Taliban withdraws protection from Red Cross in Afghanistan

By REUTERS