US general wants to revive Syria training, on smaller scale

By REUTERS
March 8, 2016 17:54

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

WASHINGTON- A top US general on Tuesday said he is asking for permission to resurrect a US effort to train Syrian opposition fighters to battle Islamic State, but on a smaller scale than the previous, failed program that was scrapped last year.

"I've asked for permission to restart the effort using a different approach," General Lloyd Austin, the head of Central Command which oversees US forces in the Middle East, told a Senate hearing.

Austin said unlike the previous effort, which sought to recruit and train entire units of fighters to redeploy into Syria, the new push would focus on shorter-term training of smaller groups.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 18, 2018
Iran: U.S. sanctions did not cause economical 'dead-end'

By REUTERS